Our illustrious trail boss, Chris Guptil is hosting a clean up day on the North bank of the Tuolumne River on Saturday, October 14, 2023. This is an opportunity for you and your family to give back to our trail system and provide some much needed love to beautifying this area.
If you are on the Modesto Composite MTB Race Team, please let us know and we will add your time to our Teen Trail Corp hours. These count for the entire team so get out there and get your gloves dirty!
- The clean-up is from 9:00 AM – NOON.
- Meeting place is at the corner of 100 10th St. and S. Morton Blvd. under the 9th St. Bridge on the north bank of the river.
- This cleanup requires a lot of walking and the terrain can be rough, steep, slippery or hard to access but is mostly flat. We need a large number of volunteers for this cleanup effort.
We want Operation 9-2-99 to be successful in accomplishing our goals and for our volunteers to enjoy the experience of doing their part to reduce blight and improve our community. We do not target people or their possessions. Our focus is on cleaning up what has been left behind, abandoned, or illegally dumped. Please consider the following guidelines as a volunteer to ensure a safe environment for everyone.
What To Bring:
- Sturdy shoes, gloves, hat, layered clothing for cool weather
- Refillable water container
- Liability Form filled out and signed by a parent or guardian if you are a minor. This form can be found on the main project page.
What To Expect:
- Difficult footing and terrain in some areas
- Items to be picked up include litter, illegally dumped trash, shopping carts, tires, clothes, carpet, mattresses, and drug paraphernalia
- Trash bags, grabbers, gloves, and tools will be provided
- Water will be available and occasionally some snack foods are provided
- Restrooms are usually available in the close vicinity of the clean up area.
- Check in and fill out a liability waiver before starting to work
- Law enforcement is present prior to, during, and after clean-up events
- Gloves need to be worn at all times
- Stay out of the water. If needed, adult volunteers will be assigned to work in the river.
- Stay in the area designated for the clean-up and always work with a partner
- Only pick up what you feel comfortable handling
- Minors should not handle drug paraphernalia
- Let us know if you sustain an injury, need a break, or are not feeling well
- Check out and return all borrowed items at the end of the clean-up
Community Service Hours:
- If you need confirmation for volunteer hours we can provide that at check out with a signature or a certificate. Bring any paperwork that needs to be signed with you.